I have spent countless days waking up late, binge-watching my favorite TV series and shows and football matches no matter how late the game is. I was really enjoying myself, then I came to an uncomfortable realization; it is time to go back to work.
Today is my first day in the office, and making the transition from vacation to work may not be an event one looks forward to, but sooner or later it’s going to happen. During this period, I intend not to beat myself up over how long it’s taking for me to catch up on things! It may take several days to finally get re-adjusted and that’s perfectly fine. So I will stay calm, focused and relaxed. I will be back to my old routine at work eventually.
I was having a conversation with one of my colleagues, who reported a week earlier and he went on to tell me how distracted he is. He seems to be having wandering thoughts. When I look up, I see my boss struggling to stay put as well. He just got in Nairobi from a prolonged vacation in Malindi. As I write this he is just perambulating in the office trying to find his bearing. He looks nothing of settled.
As that may be, in 2019 I have committed to continue being blissful with 2nd, 5th or 10th place, number one is overrated! Anyway!
For a smooth and ease back to my daily grind and to get things done as I stay calm, I decided to work on a few things;
- I got to tidy up my work-space to just give it that personal touch.
- Briefly reviewed the office & my calendar, for a little reminder as to what tasks, projects/programmes that are on-going, meetings, due dates so as not to be caught off guard.
- I made a to-do list on the tasks to prioritize.
- To avoid being overwhelmed, I will do one thing at a time.
- Remove unnecessary distractions. I’m all serious about cutting out obvious distractions such, phone calls, close out my social media accounts. ( so help me God)
- Made plans to enjoy myself the first week back to grind, I scheduled a lunch date with a friend to make my week feel less long. ( hahaha)
- To leave the office on time. ( I hope my Mdosi does not see this post until this week is over. Wish me luck)
What was your experience like on the first day back to work?